Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Child's Own Book of Verse, Book One

I've been reading a few poems a day a few days a week out of this sweet little volume to my 4yo daughter. We both enjoyed this book.

Ada M. Skinner and Frances Gillespy Wickes edited it. Maud and Miska Petersham illustrated it. It was originally published in 1917. My copy is a republication by Yesterday's Classics (if you're a parent and you're not yet familiar with Yesterday's Classics, I urge you to become familiar with them). By my count there are 105 poems by 42 different poets and Anonymous (who wrote more than anyone else). There are two succeeding volumes, which my 4yo and I are eager to read.

In my opinion this volume of poetry far excels more modern poems. I don't have a problem with most modern poetry written for children, but I do not think it as high quality as the poems contained in this book.

Here is one of my favorite poems in the book:
"What can I give Him?
Poor as I am?

"If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb.

"If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.

"Yet what can I give Him?
Give my heart."  by Christina G. Rossetti

No comments:

Post a Comment