Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Miss Dido Kent mysteries, by Anna Dean

I read Bellfield Hall by Anna Dean some few months back and really enjoyed it, so when I was looking for a quick pleasure read recently I placed the next two books in the series on hold at the library. I quickly devoured them when they came in this week, foolishly staying up late into the night (or, early into the morning, to be more precise). I find Ms. Dean's mysteries very satisfying, with just a touch of romance to sweeten the deal.

Bellfield Hall, A Gentleman of Fortune, and A Woman of Consequence are set in the Regency Period of English history. The books recall Jane Austen to mind. The main characters, especially Dido Kent, are a delight to read about. Ms. Dean is masterful at tricking the expectations of her readers, or of this reader, at any rate.

If you enjoy mysteries you might want to give these a look-over. I appreciate the fact that they trip lightly over the less seemly side of life, unlike some other recently written mysteries I've tried. These books succeed as mysteries (not hard-boiled crime books) and as historical fiction. I would recommend them to my fellow mystery readers.

1 comment:

  1. I love Jane Austen and mysteries, sounds perfect!
    www.toshowthemjesus.com

    ReplyDelete