Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2011

Books I Loved as a Child

Freckles, by Gene Stratton Porter. Freckles was long my ideal of manliness.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C. S. Lewis. When reading this I experienced what Lewis in Surprised by Joy called 'northernness.' This book made me long for heaven.

Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott. I delighted in the relationship the one little girl had with her seven boy cousins. It made me want brothers.

George MacDonald's fiction which was edited by Michael Phillips.

Brock and Brodie Thoene's books, especially the ones set during WWII.

The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom.

The Anne of Green Gables series, by L. M. Montgomery.

My Lady of Doubt, by I'm not sure who. This was a romance set during the American Revolution.

Much Ado About Nothing, by William Shakespeare. Is a 15yo still a child? There was a time in my life when I could recite most of this play, thanks to repeated readings and watchings.

Mostly, though, I read junk as a child.

2 comments:

  1. What drew me into reading (around the 2nd grade) was that I loved anything about horses.

    I still remember one of the books I initially read: My Sister the Horse. I also read Black Beauty, My Friend Flicka and the 2 sequels to Flicka. Old Bones the Wonder Horse was very enjoyable, too.

    There was this silly martian series of books that I read around the 3rd grade that I WISH I could remember even one of the titles, but the theme was that martians lived among us and one way to tell a martian was by his extremely messy handwriting. That, of course, means I might be a martian, too.

    Hands down my favorite children's book (under that age of 13 say) was Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzgerald. It was about a girl around 9 who used to keep a journal and spy on people. I also read Call of the Wild by Jack London and the one no one talks about by him (but is better IMO) White Fang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, I didn't care for reading about horses! It seems to be a passion common to young girls, but somehow I escaped it. I do remember reading Black Beauty, but I looked on that as a chore. I have read some Marguerite Henry book to the girls and enjoyed them.

    The Martian series doesn't strike a bell with me. Nor have I read Harriet the Spy, but I'm always on the lookout for books either to read to my girls or to provide for them to read.

    I can remember reading Call of the Wild with my mom, but I'm pretty sure I never read White Fang. My oldest has read White Fang, but not Call of the Wild.

    ReplyDelete