Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Death Comes to Pemberley, by P.D. James

Six years after the close of Pride and Prejudice, the Bingleys have three children and a happy marriage, while the Darcys have two children and a happy marriage. On the eve of a ball to be held at Pemberley, Lydia Wickham bursts into Pemberley hysterical, screaming that someone has murdered her husband. What follows is a classic whodunit, hewing to the guideline that James herself set forth in her other recent book, Talking About Detective Fiction: the reader is privy to all the clues which can solve the problem.

I read this book with delight. I thought James did an excellent job of keeping each Pride and Prejudice character in character, but I thought the narrator's voice sounded a bit different, rather likes James in the other books I've read by her (but not exactly like that), in fact.

I would recommend this book to those who like Pride and Prejudice, and who can stand the thought of reading a book by another author using the P&P characters, and who enjoy murder mysteries.

1 comment:

  1. I keep seeing reviews for this. I may have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete