Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Essays, Civil and Moral, by Francis Bacon

I like the essay form, and when I read a collection of essays I always think to myself that I need to read more.

Bacon wrote some essays which (in my opinion) have little value, such as the one in which he sets out a rather detailed plan for the garden of a prince.

He also wrote essays which have an enduring value, such as his famous one about education, number L 'Of Studies.' "Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.'

I think my favorite essay was number LVI, 'Of Judicature,' which begins: "Judges ought to remember that their office is jus dicere, and not jus dare; to interpret law, and not to make law, or give law."

Many of his essays are thought-provoking and worthy of consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment