Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

Quest for Celestia: a Reimagining of The Pilgrim's Progress, by Steven James

This was a great Christian fantasy read, which kept me up late at night, and caused me to neglect my family, so I could read just another page. Or two. Or the rest of the book. As soon as I was done with it, I let my 11yo daughter read it, and she loved it just as much as I did.

The subtitle lets you know the thrust of the book. Mr. James adopts a high-epic tone throughout. In fact, my only problem with the story came in the few times when a bit of the dialog struck a more modern tone.

I would recommend this book to those who like to read fantasy and who are about 11yo and up (certainly exciting enough to keep me up at night!). It is a bit 'gritty' in places, so if you're considering this for a young reader, keep that in mind.

Thank you Netgalley and Living Ink for allowing me to read a review copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment