Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving, by Eric Metaxas

I selected this title because Eric Metaxas's name has been in the news recently, on account of his recently published biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and his remarks at the national prayer breakfast. 'Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving' is a brief children's picture book biography of Squanto. It underscores how God provided for the Pilgrims by preparing Squanto to help them.

I don't really have a strong opinion about this book one way or the other. It didn't stand out to me as either wonderful or horrible. I have allowed my six-year-old daughter to read it, and she enjoyed it. And I am still hoping to read Mr. Metaxas's biography of Bonhoeffer.

I agree with Mr. Metaxas's concluding remark: "Who but the glorious God of heaven could so miraculously weave together the wandering lives of a lonely Patuxet brave and a struggling band of English Pilgrims in such a way that would bless the whole world for centuries to come?"

I read a review copy of this book, in exchange for my opinion of it freely rendered. Thanks Netgalley and Thomas Nelson publishers for giving me a review copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment