Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Starflower, by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

I was pleased when I was offered the opportunity to review Starflower, because I enjoyed reading the first book by Anne Elisabeth Stengl which I'd been given to review, Moonblood. I was even more pleased when reading it, because I believe it to be even better than Moonblood.

In Starflower we get to see some of the same characters who figured in Moonblood, but in an earlier part of their history. We get to meet Eanrin before he's blinded. Starflower explores the meaning of love, love that lays down its own life for the sake of the beloved, love that pursues the beloved even when the beloved foolishly does not recognize the love being offered.

I'm impressed by the breadth, depth, and detail of Ms. Stengl's secondary world. I'm impressed by the consistency of her characters. I'm impressed by how much she makes me care about her characters and what happens to them. I'm haunted by the picture of a land in which women are deprived of their voices right after birth.

I highly recommend Ms. Stengl's books to readers of fantasy, and can't wait to read the other two books in the Tales of Goldstone Wood series.

Thank you Netgalley and Baker Publishing Group for giving me a review copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment