Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Lie Down in Green Pastures, The Psalm 23 Mysteries by Debbie Viguie

I didn't expect much of this book because I thought the title was a bit hokey, and because I was recently disappointed in a different Christian mystery I read. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. This is the third Psalm 23 Mystery, and I will be searching out the other two.

The writing was good, the plot engaging but not too quickly moving (I still very much have Relentless in mind when I write that). The characters were interesting and quirky. The two main sleuths are a Rabbi, and a church secretary from a church that sits next door to the Rabbi's synagogue. The whole situation was a bit far-fetched, but the way the characters behaved in the situation seemed believable, and the author refrained from making things too tidy. In other words, her characters had flaws, which is good.

The Rabbi, Jeremiah, is on his way to work one morning when he is rear-ended. He glances in the rearview mirror at the driver of the other car as the accident is about to happen, and thinks "He's already dead!" The church secretary, Cindy, is the first person on the scene to lend aid. Cindy proves to be very tenacious at tracking down the truth.

My only disappointment with the book was the rapidity with which the bad guy confessed to the crimes. Aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I was pleased that there was more of a mystery and more solving of that mystery than in Good, Clean Murder (the mystery that disappointed me recently). There was more depth. The only hokey-ness was the rapidity of the confession. There was no smut.

I would recommend it to readers of mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment