Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Listen by Rene Gutteridge

What happens when gossip goes too far? Rene Gutteridge explores an answer to that question in this book. A website pops up on which private conversations have been typed up and can be viewed by anybody. Anger erupts, and a small town with a spotless record (it's been a good 20 years since a serious crime has been committed in it) exposes its violent side.

I appreciated that the characters seemed believable, and there were tiny details of daily life included that set the scene, and could sometimes bring a chuckle. I appreciated that the problems were not too tidily solved and wrapped up. But, this book was not as suspenseful and thrilling as the other book by Rene Gutteridge which I've read, Misery Loves Company, and it was a bit more preachy (a novelized sermon against gossip).

I did not enjoy it as much as Misery Loves Company. I would neither recommend it, nor against it. I do not regret reading it. I am willing to read other books by Rene Gutteridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment