Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Relentless by Robin Parrish

I was excited to read Relentless because I really enjoyed reading Offworld by Robin Parrish. Relentless disappointed me though.

A man steps off the bus one morning on his way to work, only to see himself across the block. How can this be? He starts to follow himself, only to catch sight of his own reflection. He is not the man he was when he woke up! How can that be? Through a series of events, he comes to understand that he has undergone The Shift. But why? Why him? Who did this to him? Are there are other shifted people out there?

This book moved rapidly, from one significant change to another significant change. I would have preferred to have a few more pages with each change to digest and absorb and ponder what the newest revelations meant. But my biggest problem with the frequent changes was that I did not know whom I could trust. With every new revelation, my opinions of all the characters shifted, and that made me uncomfortable. I couldn't root for anyone, not longer than for a couple pages, at any rate.

I made it to the end of the book, but I will not follow up by reading the other books in this trilogy. I won't even recommend it, though I suppose there is a certain type of reader who would like it. I am willing to try some other title by Robin Parrish.


No comments:

Post a Comment