Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

"Undisclosed" by Unnamed

A couple days ago I finished a book in which Oscar Wilde figures as a detective (!). Because of certain parts contained in the book, I don't care to review the book in the traditional sense. I did not want to acknowledge publicly that I had read it, nor did I want to ignore the fact that I had read it. Do not ask me why I read the whole of a book I do not care to acknowledge having read. I had my reasons, but, as they are probably not good reasons, I shall not share them.

The book did pique my interest in Wilde, though. I thought that in this blog post I would share some of Wilde's witticisms.

"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction."

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."

"Anybody can be good in the country. There are no temptations there."

"Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds exactly the same opinion."

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." (That is for all my friends who are unregulated in their habits, as I am in mine.)

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself."

"I can resist everything except temptation."

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book again and again, there is no use in reading it at all."

"In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience."

"It is only the modern that ever becomes old-fashioned."

I suppose I should close with that, though I have found ever so many more Wilde witticisms worth remarking.

No comments:

Post a Comment